Why are you really angry @ Colin? You feel he’s disrespected our troops? The police? The American system? The flag? The flag; and what it stands for…
Old Glory doesn’t stand for our troops. Actually, each branch of our military has its own. The flag stands for the freedom that each KIA represents and that’s why their coffin is draped symbolically. And what Colin protests is that freedom. That misrepresentation of The American Dream…
This country was founded on protest (Boston Tea Party) and immigration to be real (Every inhabitant except Native Americans), so how did many begin to equate his protest to disrespecting the flag? And not what the flag stands for? But if you ignorantly want to stick with the military aspect, remember:
- Our military wasn’t desegregated until 1948, actually, 1963 is considered the true end to segregation in our nation’s forces.
- And the G.I. Bill which assisted millions of veterans, White, in home ownership and ‘back on your feet-ism,’ disproportionately left Black veterans out of the mix. And how that deepened the divide in wealth building between the races.
- Fort Pillow…
- Military honors received posthumously, denied while alive, because of the color of their skin.
All this with no compensation when laws were ‘set right’ and veterans began receiving their just due. That in itself is reason to protest.
But again, it is not about the flag and the military, it’s the ideals of the American system and how it has systematically oppressed people of color. You may believe that opportunity exists for everyone equally, just zip up your boots, tighten your belt and hit the pavement but:
- There’s still discrimination in the housing circuit.
- There’s still segregation in the educational unit.
- There’s still racism in our political system.
And these are three of the greatest factors in the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness – of the American Dream.
So why the hatred towards this man? His millions(jealousy)? His Blackness(racism)? His recent dedication to the plight of the inner city through his ‘know your rights‘ campaign(more racism).
So you may believe his protests are disrespectful and dishonorable but discrimination is more despicable and until you can empathize with the plight of the oppressed, you can never understand…
Empathize or hate – the choice is yours.